The mission of the Performing Arts Program at St. John Bosco Catholic School is to foster understanding, appreciation, expression, and creative participation in the artistic process.
Simplicity is the Gospel Value emphasized in the music curriculum.
“Catholic Arts Education is based on the belief that God has endowed each of us with talents and gifts which He expects us to develop and use to the best of our ability. From the dawn of civilization the arts have been an essential part of the human experience. In every culture the arts provide a record of the finest achievement of the human spirit and are a means by which we define and measure culture. The arts form a basis of civilization and reveal dimensions of our cultural heritage accessible in no other way. The arts communicate and shape human thoughts and feelings. If the arts are an inseparable part of our culture, then they should be an inseparable part of the school curriculum.”
We are honored to have Mrs. Roberta Hamilton, M.A. Music Education, Case Western Reserve University, B.A. Music Performance, Cleveland Institute of Music as our certified music teacher.
- Christmas Program (PreK - 5 and Orchestra)
- Spring Orchestra Concert
- Move, clap, play an instrument to a steady beat
- Recognize beat as fast/slow, faster/slower
- Echo, identify, count, notate, perform, compose, improvise a variety of note/rest values and rhythm patterns
- Distinguish aurally/visually between same/different rhythm patterns
- Identify time signature, bar line, measure, repeat sign, 1st/2nd endings
- Distinguish singing from speaking, shouting, whispering
- Sing a varied repertoire of music with accurate intonation
- Echo and recognize melodic phrases
- Recognize melodic direction aurally/visually and differentiate between same/different melodic phrases
- Distinguish between melody and accompaniment
- Identify treble/bass clef signs, grand staff, accidentals
- Know the treble clef note names
- Identify whole and half steps
- Recognize and identify major, minor, pentatonic, chromatic scales
- Identify and notate intervals
- Notate a melody