The Program provides an opportunity for a child to:
- Develop an awareness of his/her place in God’s world.
- Develop a sense of wonder and appreciation for the gifts of Creation.
- Come to know himself/herself as a child of God lovingly made in His image.
- Listen to the parables of the Kingdom of God and begin to wonder at their meaning:
- Parable of the Mustard Seed Mark 4:30-32
- Parable of the Pearl of Great Price Matthew 13:45-46
- Come to an awareness that Jesus is God and He knows each by name as proclaimed in the Holy Bible.
- Understand that the Holy Bible is God’s word to us.
- Know that Mary is the Mother of Jesus.
- Be introduced to Jesus as a historical figure born in the Land of Israel.
Additionally, the child will begin to celebrate the Christian Mystery:
- Be introduced to the liturgical seasons and colors.
- Participate in the seasons of Advent, Lent, Ordinary Time, Christmas, and Easter.
- Discover that he/she is a member of God’s family, called by name through the gifts received in the Sacrament of Baptism.
- Be introduced to the Baptismal gifts of the water, word, light, white garment.
- Be introduced to the sacred articles used at Mass: altar, altar cloth, chalice, paten, crucifix, and candles.
- Be introduced to the Eucharist as the gift of Himself that Jesus shared at the Last Supper.
- Experience the Liturgy as a celebration of God’s family where Jesus calls us to be with Him.
And, the child will:
- Demonstrate a Christian response to others through daily opportunities to share, listen, show gratitude, apologize, forgive, cooperate, and be responsible for his/her work.
- Become aware of personal boundaries according to the diocesan “Called to Protect” program.
And participate in Christian Prayer:
- Understand that prayer is talking to God.
- Participate in a variety of prayer forms: spontaneous prayer, silent prayer, songs and sign language, and dance.
- Be introduced to the following prayers and gestures: Sign of the Cross, genuflection, Hail Mary, Psalm 23:1.
Key Scripture References
- Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my Shepherd
- Isaiah 9:1 Prophecy of Light
- Isaiah 9:5-6 Prophecy of the Names
- Luke 1:26-38 Annunciation
- Luke 2:1-20 Birth of Christ and Adoration of the Shepherd
- Matt 12:31-32 The Kingdom and the Mustard Seed
- Matt 13:45-46 The Kingdom and the Pearl of Great Price
- John 10:3-5, 10b-11, 14-16 The Good Shepherd
- Mark 14:12-17, 22-24, 27 The Last Supper
- Pentecost 2:1-11 Pentecost
Language Arts Content
- Experience opportunities for listening to stories and nursery rhymes.
- Learn to listen, follow directions, and discriminate between sounds.
- Be able to recognize colors, shapes, sizes.
- Begin to understand left-right and top-bottom eye movement.
- Begin to discriminate letters and objects and will be able to transfer to paper.
Oral Language Development
- Participate in discussions.
- Use finger plays, rhymes, and songs to learn rote memorization.
- Compose and expand simple stories.
- Speak in clear and complete sentences.
Introduction to Pre-Writing and Writing
- Use free drawing and painting with a variety of tools.
- Use manipulatives such as beads, pegs, puzzles, and Legos.
- Use clay, paste, scissors, pencils, and crayons.
- Repeat basic strokes l/0.
- Print first name and last name using manuscript
- Experience opportunities for tracing, weaving, lacing, etc.
Introduction to Reading
- Enjoy stories for fun.
- Retell stories in sequence.
- Develop an interest in the printed word through labeling and names.
- Begin to recognize some alphabet letters and sounds.
- Experience opportunities for exposure to other languages, such as Spanish.
- Be able to understand/recite parts of the body, days of the week, colors, numbers (count from 1-10), and simple phrases in Spanish.
- Progress toward recognizing 1-30
- Progress toward counting 1-100
- Count with one to one correspondence from 1-20
- Complete and build patterns – ABAB, AABB, AAB, etc.
- Sort and classify based on various characteristics
- Work with concepts of how many, more/less, most/least, etc
- Introduce and explore simple addition and subtraction using pictures and objects >